Saturday, August 30, 2014

Green Light on Entyvio

 
 
Guess What! I got the call from an Infusion Center telling me I don't have to wait for any pre-auths from my insurance and we have a green light for me to take the latest break through med,
 
Entyvio.
 
I will be the first in this infusion center. (I gotta come in first some time.)
 
I have decided to chronicle it here, on the blog and we shall see how it works, whether I can get off prednisone like the Dr. says I should be able to with Entyvio


Here are some new words I get to learn:

About Entyvio (vedolizumab)
Entyvio, an integrin receptor antagonist, is a humanized monoclonal antibody that specifically binds

to the alpha4beta7 integrin and blocks the interaction of alpha4beta7 integrin with mucosal addressin

cell adhesion molecule-1 (MAdCAM-1) and inhibits the migration of memory T-lymphocytes across



the endothelium into inflamed gastrointestinal parenchymal tissue. Entyvio does not bind to or inhibit

function of the alpha4beta1 and alpha E beta 7 integrins and does not antagonize the interaction of

alpha4 integrins with vascular cell adhesion molecule-1 (VCAM-1). The alpha4beta7 integrin is

expressed on the surface of a discrete subset of memory T-lymphocytes that preferentially migrate

into the gastrointestinal tract. MAdCAM-1 is mainly expressed on gut endothelial cells and plays a

critical role in the homing of T-lymphocytes to gut lymph tissue.


(Entyvio must work like a tool kit and hammers in those nails up there on the cells. )
The interaction of the alpha4beta7

integrin with MAdCAM-1 has been implicated as an important contributor to the chronic

inflammation that is a hallmark of ulcerative colitis and Crohn’s disease.(Reference: Takeda)

Due to being tired, all I got out of that was something about my cells sending hallmark cards to each other while wearing "Go-Pro" cams to show all the destruction they are causing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive