Saturday, February 21, 2015

We Were Rear Ended

 
 (Piggy & Dirt call this star: Plump Poinsettia, but I think it should be a year round red !)

Readers, it's here!

My post on myofacial pain!

I said I'd write about it a bit and here it is!

**Actually,  Readers, it isn't . As the post title states; we, as in:

 J & I, got rear ended in our car.

 Yes.
 
You read correctly. After getting the car all spiffed up at the dealership and back home with our new digitally engraved keys, we decided to go on a little date that led us to our fate.

 I have had plenty of people from insurance companies call me since then.  Just when I get to know one of them, and have faxed pertinent information, they have to pass me off to another person or adjuster. Who I have to re-tell, re-fax, get to know in a futile effort to have the situation taken care of. I don't know if they are aware of how stressful this is after you have been in an accident. Is it done on purpose? Are they really there to help you? My brain gets strained thinking about it. I know it is serious and needs to be addressed, paper filled out to the best of my knowledge, and ifnrmation

 
 (hey! Just realized Piggy & Dirt have a 'Pisces' Star. In teal to boot! woo-hoo!)
 
So "myo-who- ha" pain post will have to wait.  I am enduring  more of it due to the accident(s) so it should be pretty informative.
For now i need to just write. Journal entry type write. I locked myself out of  the majority of the situation.
 
I am not one to be superstitious; but the accidnet  happened on Friday, the 13th.
This is a good op to plug Kurt's 'Piggy and Dirt Stars' on etsy that are along those lines:
 
 
okay, that eye is creepy! And not one you will see me buying. But it does go well with Fri. 13th. As Does Kurt's 'Cranium Compendium':
 




No, I did not have a cat cross my path before getting rear ended. I sure wish I would have used my noodle and NOT taken 17th street. But I didn't know if J. wanted to slip into Sports Authority to look around. I wanted to him to have a night out with me.
 
Instead of Sunnyside, we took the busy 17th st. My P.T. said Sunnyside was just as busy that night anyway.  To my surprise, lots of folks were out celebratingV-day a day early.
 
As were we. We actually don't do a lot of celebrating of the holiday but I have always tried to make it "fun" even if it meant just those cheap vinyl clings stuck to the mirror or the window so kids can see them on their way to and from school. I always looked forward to the simple, traditional decorations my mom would do for us.
Sugar cookies was an all time favorite thing to do.
This year, to J's sadness it was really warm outside. The sun has been shining and there was literally no wind.
Readers, it was better weather than in spring or June for that matter. I have no idea what the deal was.
So there we were on a Friday night and Padre turned on the TV and we decided to go out.
J was hungry so we swung by a fast food place to get him something to eat before I filled the car with gas or took it through the car wash- all things we didn't get to due to the next few events.
 
While J. opened his Western burger from Carl's J. I felt like we should

pause for prayer.

Normally, he will say it but I will drive. This time I felt impressed to do more than that and actually be reverant since we had the time.

We pulled off to the side in the parking lot, J. prayed over the food and then I felt like I needed to add to it so I did one and, surprisingly, I mentioned the car a lot. Glad we had it, that we had it back and it was a good car and that we could keep it that way. And I wasn't saying that to inadvertently let J. know he should be careful with getting food on the seats. It was just a simple prayer and I left the place feeling gratitude.

This is where I wish I would have done something different. Like just stop at Wal-Mart and read cards or something. Anything. Anything that would avoid the next few events.
If I was more content with my life or didn't want a Jamba, would we have just gone home?
Either way,
we took our time to enjoy the ride and then we came upon the backed up traffic. Everyone was hitting the good restaruants along Hitt Road and that backed up 17th street. doh!

We were getting close to the mall when we had to slow down, and wait for traffic ahead. And then, with the help of my rear view mirror, I entered into those split seconds where you make lots of decisions/ weigh their outcomes and then do the best you can and wait.....

for everything to change.
 
 
 
 
 
(Piggy and Dirt Star entitled: Angels Among Us)
 
 Do you believe in Angels?

Or prayer?

Had they [those angels] tried to tell me to "stay home"  or "take Sunnyside" ?
Either way, we were where we were. And I left to send up a final prayer, or comment:

"Oh, please no. "

I really wasn't in a position physically to absorb another wreck and this weighed heavily on my mind.

I felt guided as the final split second decisions of the night occured. I was glad that J was seat belted in because I couldn't concern myself with that as I did what I had to in the car. His voice and converation faded out as I took in everything in slow motion yet hyper speed. Adrenaline must do that. After all I could do I was left to the time that comes when

there is nothing more you can do.

And that's when you really hand it over to whoever is assigned to you from the other side.


(and try to find peace- Piggy and Dirt's version in a Star- find on etsy!)

Like jumping into a


swimming pool

(Piggy and Dirt's star: Swimming Pool)


I took a quick breath and held it while I felt myself, or instinctively felt myself warn:

"brace yourself."
(not just for the hit but for the aftermath and it was something I could not even tell Jaden because it all happened so fast.)

 I locked my arms as hard as I could as the yellow lights filled the rear view mirror,


(Happy Sunshinny from Piggy & Dirt's etsy stars - obviously looming headlights in your rear view mirror feel the opposite of 'happy sunshiny' but ya need to stay positive post that moment)


pushed my back against the seat and prayed for my neck and then I had to allow the laws of physics do their thing.
 

Ya know that awful feeling you get when you can't change something,
especially if involving your child?

and it replays in your mind like an old record needing the arm lifted and the needle replaced to a groove that plays a song.? A little bit on the pshychdelic side?

(Kurt Knudsen's Groovy Star on etsy)

In a car accident it happens to be a song you don't particularly care for.

It fills up your dreams, at least initially. It's a powerful feeling. The following days were physically worse than the first. And right now isn't so great or I wouldn't be up blogging about it all.
*(That sentence came a week after being hit.)

I was so grateful to those who were prompted to come over with out knowing what happened.
I actually got professionally made sugar cookies from a friend who bakes at one of those yummy cup cake places.

She. helped. me. wash. my. hair.

(The blue center in Star of Provence by Kurt Knudsen)

I tried to hang my head over the tub. It needed to be washed and oh it hurt. Not just my pride but the way in which I had to twist my noggin' in order to make sure she could spray the hair but I had to lather it as she is injured too.

My tears mixed with the stingin' Sauve shampoo and I let it come  quietly. I have not had a friend or neighbor step in and wash my hair yet. That was a first. Sure my beuatician sister has stepped in the tub without shoes on and lathered it up and I paid her as if it were a hair cut.

But for someone to offer to do it to the best they can after a long hard two weeks of baking cookies at the yummy cup cake place.....

You feel  guilty at best. The shame washed down the drain as I felt her concern for me over ride any feelings of pride I might have left.

I don't know how much hair got wet, washed, or whatever. But soon she tossed me the towel and Ipulled with all my strength on the bar Padre installed vertically on the tile of the bathtube area.

Sitting on the edge  I clummsily wrapped my head in it and wore it for as long as my neck could take it then removed it.

No conditioning of the hair going on here. That is for better days. Days when you can lift your hand and rub it in. (I even after wash conditioner.)


and talk about the ordeal because everyone was gone to my grandfather's 90th bday celebration.
One more event missed.

Angels Among Us- Brass Angel center with lacquered lokta paper on glass points- 8.5 inches
(courtesy of Piggy and Dirt on etsy)

Angels aren't just in heaven.

Jaden and I even recieved chocolate covered strawberries and toffee from another friend. So we were totally spoiled on Valentine's Day! So this week I had the daunting task of facing physical therapy, more Dr. appts,  and essentially "starting all over." I have felt that a lot in my medical life! And I know I need to reframe how I look at these changes and not perceive it as starting over.
Although that was essentially how my P.T. described it with his pens- showing me that if we were to give a value of what progress we assumed we'd made from the first go around, and that this accident put us back there, we would continue to go forward.



Which has meant me laying on moist heating pads, receiving ultra sound, and  being stretched out. When we tried to add the strengthening exercises we quickly found it to be too much and had to back off. Sometimes I wonder if I am getting all prepped to be ready to receive more pain. Better to be in good shape when you face pain than be a light weight. Makes it waaayyy worse.

I have mainly talked about myself. Jaden had some minor things come out of it but he is handling it  and seems to be doing good today at least. THANK GOODNESS. He was definitely caught by surprise,  his french fries flew off his lap, and he was scared watching my head bounce off the seat a couple times. Enough to ask me if I was going to keep pushing forward and not give up.
"Of Course I will!! No, I won't Give Up! Do you think after all of this I would allow this latest car scenario be what make me decide to throw in the towel? Think again, my boy!"

Which reminds me- one of the Best Made Co. badges I keep in the car was found on the floor as we were getting it ready to take in to be fixed at Dan's Collision.  It was the round badge that says:

Fortitude.

I put it back in the place that I keep it in the car where I can see it often.


 
 
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive