Saturday, June 13, 2009

Jefferson qoute

"I have sworn upon the altar of God eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

This morning an article from the WSJ for May 29, 09 caught my eye: 'Child Executions Become Hot Issue in Iranian Elections'
I learned in the article by Farnaz Fassihi that under Islamic rule girls are considered mature at age 9 and boys 15 and under those pretenses subject to the death penalty for murder, drugs, stealing etc. The lawyer Mohamad Mostafaei is a man that helps their cause and tries to get them off death row. The most touching was a story of a 17 year old girl who confessed to the murder of her father's cousin in place of her boyfriend who actually commit ed it. He had told her that if she confessed to it that she would not be hanged and that he would. Under sedatives she complied. Then rinigged her confession, but it was too late, at the age of 23 she faced the noose and was hanged.
I don't know why I should be shocked. But it seemed to take my breath away and Jefferson's comment above came to my mind and the importance of democracy.
I also found this floating napkin with the quote by Charles Dickens: "I feel an earnest and humble desire, and shall do till I die, to increase the stock of harmless cheerfulness."
Just a day ago I read in a Time Mag article (the one with Michelle Obama on the front) a journalist opinion of him that he made tidy resolutions at the last minute. And that his life was fodder for today's reality TV. Essentially that his life was a mess. I wanted to have a talk with this person but opted to get everyone to read his works anyway and decide for yourself what you think of 'ol Charles.
In Norman Rockwell's paintings it was said that he didn't necessarily paint things 'how they were, but how they could be'. And isn't it wonderful to pick up Dickens and have a good chuckle or gaze at a picture of Rockwell's and truly see the human spirit?
Norm may have dropped out of HS but he was able to hone in on his ability to paint and went after that through his education. He became a great artist despite being a little inept with school and on the real skinny side.
Art to check out online: Nathan
Barnesfineart.com (he's a local to the IF area) along with my cousin, John Hart. He has a killer photo of Amistad online that is worth seeing and is actually on display in a museum back east. And then Jay Ward. That is if any of you are into art and want to look at some incredible local artist's work.
Amanda

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive