Monday, July 9, 2012

Book Drop

This is usually the drive-thru drop off slot at your library- placed in a convient location so as to make the last ditch effort to save on library fines, easier.

Well, today it was more like what happens when you binge on checking out books and start dropping them on your way out of the library, that is under construction, on your two mile walk around the building to your car.

Okay, so I am exaggerating a bit. They do have golf carts that shuttle you from the front of the library that faces the main street through the down town area. Which is coincidentally under construction.

Actually, all of the city seems to be under construction. And it's hot.

So just stepping outside to your car seems an inconvenience- but a sacrifice worth making in order to get something to help the "bored" children have something constructive to do with their lethargy.

Which effects their whole body except their mouth.

No amount of weeding, reading, scouting, video gaming or physcial exercise can keep said children from complaining of boredom when friends are out of town.

And why wasn't I looking at the forecast and planning on some camping trip in a bear infested region for this sweltering week? The good news is that the weeds are really getting some footing in the garden, oh, and the flowers are blooming if you can pull yourself from dehydration to water them.

I can't wait to post a pic of my garden. It looks like those birds were watching me because I have some seriously wasted space in my garden. AFter one of those bored children helped me clear a few weeds, the amount of produce is almost comical.

And this is why I have to remind myself that weeding is a form relaxation and the real reason for my planting a garden.

In the last two days red raspberries have appeared on the vine, I was able to distinguish between weeds and some arugula, and 10 or so three leafed lettuce starts. The peas are on their way up, but the netting is not in place and tacked to the conduit pole. So that project of making the poles could end up being a garden decoration.

Things have been busy and there are always fun topics and stories to post- but for now, I will say that the book Steve the librarian suggested by James Patterson has been a page turner. That the books I grabbed to answer all of J's tick, worm, hobo spider and insect needs has back fired. But we are learning from Lois Lowry's Number the Stars book more about WWII, the Germans occupying Denmark and a young girl's sacrifice to help her friend. That book is helping him understand other religions and history and the book on Daniel Boone is helping him to understand folklore.

Which he ascribed to his Uncle's tauntings/teasing and sarcasm as being akin to the same thing: folklore. I guess we are making progress!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive