Friday, October 30, 2009

Sally Costume



thanks to my sister, Abby, I was able to be Sally from Nightmare before Christmas at the school today. Last year she donned the costume and I was able to use it this year. So this morning at 6 am I was up on the internet googling Sally's photo and then with my make-up bag next to the computer, I put on my face.

Mom's Avon foundation was whiter than mine so I lathered it all over then drew my lashes on my eye lids, up over the brows and left them hanging on my forehead. Foregoing the regular mascara, they really stuck out.

The only reason I am giving ANY details about this seemingly insignificant outfit, was because it scared most of the kids. I did not realize I would be such a hit when I left the house. No, I was on my way to cover for a tutor at the elementary who coincidentally had morning duty. It snowed last night and howled at the window. Luckily it wasn't the freight train wind that roared past the other day, but still. I was not stoked when I went out to start the car. Had to heat it up. So my Sally costume was interuppted with Sorels boots and as we drove over I envisioned myself like a Jane Eyre character. Jane's friend with the bad lungs and cough. Who got in trouble and had to stand on a stool in the freezing cold.

But instead of wearing a paper thin dress on a stool and glad to have a wonderful Friend like Jane, I would be outside the school in a patch work dress, a warm red wig, and sorels. Looking more solemn than Sally shivering by the drab yellow brick wall to break the wind.

No, I had no idea when I stood out there with a whistle in my pocket that the day would go like it did. The kids eyes bugged almost as big as mine as they started to pour onto the playground.

I had to reassure little ones that it was ok and show them my I.D. Despite those efforts, many just stood and stared and occassionally gave a half hearted laugh if I made a joke.

In Ms. McKenna's third grade class I helped the little lovlies finish their assignment then told a story to burn the remaining time.

It was the Twin Pug story. They were amazed. But the story telling didn't stop there (I had more time to burn). So I added the West Piney Bat story; that brought in other kids in the room not needing "special help" And finally I dazzled them with the three legged Mouse Story. You could have heard a pin drop.

Stay tuned and I may just tell you....

Elementary kids weren't the only ones to enjoy the goodness. I had to race to Wal-Mart quickly-- so Sally went to Wal-Mart. By that time I was used to wearing the costume and not immediatly worried if others fainted by the way side. Most people just smiled and nodded. One little fire man walked onto the cereal isle and slowly backed up and around the corner his eyes darting for his mom. I am sure that reinforced the "Stranger story."

Others treated it like a cancer situation. Taking the: Don't stare or make eye contact, it's rude philosophy. so I stood patiently in line absorbing the looks, waving at my brother a few aisles over and disregarding the "Do we even KNOW that person?" look he shot his wife. I hollered: "It's me, Amanda." and he chuckled.

It opened my eyes. Not as wide as Sally's but opened them. It is hard to be the center of attention if you don't want it. I know hwat you are thinking: "Don't wear something that makes you stand out." And most of the time, I don't. But sometimes you can't help it. Kids can't help it. There are simply differences. And elementary school can be the most brutal when you realize that.

Hmm. I don't know where I am going with this. But wasn't it fun to listen to me on the soap box? And, hey, it's that time of year anyway! Vote for me!





No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive