Thursday, October 29, 2009

Cooking Honor


I love to cook and bake. Mainly to try out new recipes, but the other day I received a compliment that helped me to know I was on track: As the little readers were working on making an I with their play dough one said: "Mmmmm, you make good dough." As he licked his left hand while sitting in his yellow chair by his half completed letter I. (Ethan age 5)

The other night we had Family Home Evening a night each week designated for the family and teaching. We read in the scriptures in 3 Nephi in The Book of Mormon about Christ visiting the Nephites after his cruxifiction.

He blessed each of the children and then wept. We talked about why he would do that. It came to talk about some of the kids we meet at school that need his protection. All of them do, but some in particular. Then we read about angels surrounding them with fire and teaching them. I felt confident that they are there with there circle of protection every day unawares.

Then I had this confirmed in a "tender mercy" moment. I was trying to find a book for the class and found one by Tomie De Poala. Angels everywhere. It shows the "Wake up angel, reading angel, teaching angel and on and on and at the end all of them are surrounding the kids like that scripture taught.

That made me feel better about Tabitha, sweet little black Tabby who wears yarn in her hair to complete the braid for her pig tails. Who has the Day Care Provid "R". (said with a speech impediment.) and who struggles each day to tell me what a 3 and 4 is. Little Taylor who started out like a tornado with me, but who now races to me in the halls to smile and throw his arms around me.

the little latina girls who giggle when I speak Spanish to them, the kids who on a daily basis tell me that I look nice, esp if a I wear a dress.

And then 5th grade Braxton and Jorge who finally did awesome in math after we talked about the skatepark a bit.

I am starting to really care about these kids and find myself being one of the "Guarding Angels" in Paola's book.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive