Saturday, February 4, 2012

How we Celebrated and Cornbread Recipe

"Happy Ground Hog's Day!" I exclaimed as Jaden strode through the door the other day.

"Huh?"

"Today is Ground Hog's Day! Didn't you talk about it at school?" I inquired.

J shrugged and dropped his coat and bag right where he was and I pointed to it and then at the coat rack is one foot to his left.

"Well, I made you some pie for the celebration of Punxy Phil's winter conclusion."

(It wasn't rhubarb. Just plain 'ol caramel apple that I found in the food storage)

J was pleased as punch and asked me more about the rodent's shadow, residence, and whether or not he liked all the media attention.

As he ate he said: "Well, there was the word 'ground' mentioned in one of our spelling test sentences. But 'hog' wasn't in there at all. That's the closest we came to talking about Ground Hog Day, mom." he said with his mouth full of Ground Hog celebratory pie.

"uh- huhhh." I said. "They must not have had time to talk about the weather predicting practice in Punxatany, Pennsylvania. Poor teachers have too much to cover these days.

So that's how J and I kicked off Phil's prediction on a bright, sunny day; we enjoyed pie and vanilla ice cream together and talked about basketball, the Super Bowl, and such.

I also found a recipe that I meant to share on here, that I thought I lost. DO NOT lose this recipe! It is the best Cornbread recipe I have ever had. It is so delicious with chili, or any soup really. Especially Clam Chowder.

However, my favorite thing is to slice an avocado and tomato and place them on top of a halved piece of the cornbread. Add a dash of sea salt and savor.

It is heavy enough for a mid-afternoon meal. It's satisfying, especially on a cold day.

When I was a tenant at a particular apartment, the owner's wife loved to cook and so he brought me by a couple of his favorite recipes of hers. Isn't that nice?

I TREASURE it! It makes me think of the East coast, ships (like these off Mass. coast by Fitz Hugh Lane)


and another favorite recipe for Clam chowder...I will share it another day. I'm sure Idaho has another random blizzard left for, us despite Phil's feelings about spring, so you can try it out.

THE Cornbread

Pre-heat oven to 350.

Cream the first three ingredients. (Beat the heck out of it!)

1 C. sugar

1 Cube butter (let this soften outside of the fridge. it tastes better than being stuck in the microwave)

2 eggs, beaten separately, and then added to blender.


Add the next ingredients to your blender bowl:

1/2 tsp salt

2 tsp baking powder

1 C. Cornmeal

Blend this and then pour 1 1/2 C of milk, set aside. Put 1 1/2 C of flour in a bowl.
While blender is mixing add a little of each of these alternately. So a little flour, a little milk. Blend. More flour then milk. Blend.

Grease a 9x9 inch glass dish and pour the mixture into it. Bake 30-45 minutes. Depending on the weather, and your oven it can vary that much. so just check the center of it with a toothpick. When it comes out clean you know it's done!

Let it cool on a rack but serve while warm.

Serve with Brownings Orange Blossom honey- (browning'shoney.com)

no need for more butter unless you are a butter fiend and then go ahead and add another slab of butter or concoct honey butter to drizzle atop.

Finally, share some with a neighbor in need! It goes a long way. But the leftovers last and the very last crumb will be eaten!!


Blog Archive