Thursday, March 31, 2011

My Sock Drawer Runneth Over- March Madness Beginnings

Does anyone else have socks disappear?
 
 (Or other articles of laundry?) I posed this question to a mother with a toddler around the time J was the same age, and she looked at me with mild bewilderment.

"No, I haven't." she said searching me, possibly wondering if I would be the kind of friend she would want to continue taking stroller walks with on sunny afternoons.

"Who loses their stuff in the laundry?" I wondered inwardly and almost started to feel guilty until I was watching Channel 10 with J one afternoon. The missing sock issue was showcased in an cartoon episode of a show we watched every day but now I can't recall.

Anyway, a cat was the culprit! I wasn't crazy! This sort of thing was big enough to incorporate into public television, heck it had to be a common problem! However, we didn't have a cat. But this cat was taking the socks for the 'sock exchange'.

To deal with this phenomenon we have a basket dedicated to holding misfit socks- until their mate is found.

I have found this "treasure trove" has to be sorted quarterly because, often more than not, the mate's sock is swimming somewhere in the same vicinity. But you don't know this until you actually take out all the socks and try to match them.

Not being able to find matching socks is the real reason why the term 'March Madness' was coined.

All basketball players are forced to either wear stinky, or mismatched socks, by the time the tournaments roll around. Or buy new ones.

Instead of focusing on the two people that got the Final Four right, I wanna know who is doing the laundry? Or going out and buying some when times are desperate? Who is finding the jerseys? Why are these champions NEVER highlighted in the commercials or newspapers? Or given air time on ESPN?

Either way, I can't wait until J tries to open his drawer because he is going to think Santa came and did his laundry.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive