Wednesday, January 20, 2010

The Mariaichi Band











While discussing current events, like the earthquake in Haiti, my friend, Care, and I talked about solutions. What could possibly be done? I mentioned the unsustainable land on which the country now sits. Only backed with a two hour reading of National Geographic in a mechanic shop a year ago as back up. But the graphs and pictures made a strong case that Haiti, was in a heap of trouble.

She mentioned her father's experience in a South American country that was seeking help from his non-profitany comp called Interweave Solutions. A philanthropy/business based company. (interweavesolutions.org)The leaders listed the things they needed, a well for water, schools and health care. He offered them an amount of money and said he would leave them to talk about how they would use it. When he came back with in an hour or so they told him what they needed; A Mariachi Band.

Como?

If they were to be a recognizable community, they would need this band. So they used the money to get uniforms, instruments; six months later he visited and the band, despite their amateur sound, had pulled the whole community together in a party.

Within a year, they met that list of needs, by themselves. The well, the school, the start of businesses. All to the credit of the Mariachi Band that was a glue to their community.

I don't know if a band would help Haiti right now... not likely. But I am wondering, what is the equivalent for Haiti? What is YOUR Mariachi Band? What do you need together, that may sound frivolous, but that helps you feel confident and desire to succeed? So I ask Carolyn, she can't think of anything up front but a clean house. I start to think what I need. I wish for non-reflective lenses. If I have to wear glasses, and most the time I do because I am allergic to lenses now. It hurts. It doesn't doesn't correct astigmatism. But it definitely is the thing I hate. Hiding behind Coke Bottle lenses that glint in light. But when you don't have the money and you need other things... is it frivolous or your Mariachi Band?


Care said: YOu are your own community.. can you make more money with that pair of glasses and that band to get that well in your life? Bringing you the needed water to survive?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive