Friday, November 20, 2009

The Smell of Clean Metal



I had to change the title of this post after coming across that line in Richard Bach's book that Bob loaned me from his library. In his first chapter he tried to answer why people flew. One reason was akin to how I felt when I first saw the Beechcraft. But I have to add 'cold' to that line because when I went into the hangar with Bob and Jaden I had was drawn to run my hand down the edge of the wing then grasp the propeller in my hand. And I wanted to cry. Why? I don't even fly or have flown other than commercial planes.

I also read in a book about Idaho Aviation history concerning Lindbergh's visit to Boise on September 4, 1927. The whole town was decorated with bunting and flags. Thousands were crowded in a big field waiting for him when "All at one there was heard the roar of a motor, and across the skyline flashed The Spirit of St. Louis."




Lindy was nicknamed "The Lone Eagle". (Watching an Eagle soar gives me chills too.)



Stopped at the light on Broadway and Skyline, I pondered heading over to Aeromark. The light turned green, I sped up and once I hit 35 an airplane on my right lined up for his approach into the airpor.

My heart skipped a beat.

He of course beat me but we ended up in the same place.




Jaden piloted here, I was co-pilot the other day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive