Friday, October 16, 2009

Politic Season

I just read Religious Freedom by Elder Oaks given recently at a BYU-I fireside.

Excellent

Here are some of my fav parts, paraphrased:

"This nation's most important export is its constitution, whose great principles stand as a model for the 'rights and protection of all flesh' "

Great fundamentals of our constitution relied on the people as the source of Government Power.

Central issue of Religious Freedom is the precious religious freedom of the people and the legitimate regulatory responsibility of the government to gaurd it.

The guarantee of free exercise of religion is fortunate and therfore important to Diligently defend it.

He goes on to say that: 'significant deterioration in the respect accorded to Religion in public life, the "vitality of it is in danger."

Elder Oaks starts out the article using a military axiom referring to battle underway: "march to the sound of the guns." then he gives an invitation to "march" with him. I got chills. Captain Moroni waving the Title of Liberty came to mind.
The battle he is referring to is the promise and meaning of religious freedom under our Constitution.

He outlines things we can do to, what he calls 5 points of conduct (which makes me think we aren't just entry level warriors, but equivalent Navy Seals. (Look into Marcus Lattrell's book it is fascinating and makes my lungs burn just reading about the work outs let alone his miraculous escape.)

1. LOVE Luke 10:27, D&C 17:30 and other scrips listed. Forgive all men, don't revile against those that revile.

2. Not be deterred into silence, Insist on our rights

3. Insist on our freedom to preach the doctrines of faith. (Then he adds a tid bit about chastity, ok a huge bit.)

4. Be wise in political practices

5. Never support or act upon idea that aperson must subscribe to some particular set of religious beliefs to qualify for office.

"Christian principles of human worth and dignity that made possible the formation of the US Constitution over 200 years ago, and only those principles in the hearts of a majority of our diverse population can sustain that Constitution today.

"Religious values and political realities are so INTERLINKED in the origin and perpetuation of this nation that we cannot lost the influence of Christianity in the public square without seriously jeopardising our freedoms.

He ends with his testimony including that of the Constitution that entails the Prophets affirmation of its significance in this day, "which as we have said, was given by God to His children for the rights and protection of all flesh."

I have a faux worn copy of it in my room and just having the declaration of Indepndence up on the wall makes me keep in mind the preserving part of Oaks speech.

so badly I want to be a part of that and the only way I can think to do that is by teaching little children about these principles, and being an example. This week was a tough one as I dealt with some kids after school that are struggling to read. One in particualar pushed me to the max with defiant behavior. I truly hope that I can learn patience to be there for these little ones in this day and age.

I didn't expect to have just one child in my life. I came from a big family and imagined raising a slew of little warriors! Thank goodness for Jaden, and I will take it. but I am glad to help kids that need the "mohtering".



No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive